There are more than 300 dental products carrying the ADA Seal of Acceptance on products ranging from dental floss to denture products. Why is this label important, and how does it impact you? The American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance ensures that the product you are using is not only safe, but effective and does what it claims to do.
The ADA is a non-profit entity helping consumers have access to safe and effective dental products and technologies by setting rigorous standards. It has been around for over 125 years, and now has over 157,000 members who are dentists. The ADA receives no payment for their endorsements, which frees them set strict standards. All companies seeking the ADA Seal of Acceptance must meet scientific testing requirements and all advertising must be truthful. The ADA often requires companies requesting the Seal to meet higher standards than the even law requires. If a product is approved, it must carry The Seal of Acceptance on the label as well as a Seal Statement on any advertising that accompanies it. This statement lets consumers know the reason why the product earned the ADA Seal.
Following is an example of a Seal Statement: “The ADA Council on Scientific Affairs’ Acceptance of Save-A-Tooth is based on its finding that the solution in Save-A-Tooth has been shown to increase the survival rate of a knocked-out-tooth, when used as directed. Although data show that the solution is effective up to 24 hours, the survival rate is highest if the knocked-out-tooth is implanted by a dentist within one hour.”
Requirements for the ADA Seal of Acceptance:
1) Supply a list of ingredients and other relevant information about the product to the ADA.
2) Provide data from clinical or laboratory studies backing up their claims for product safety, effectiveness, and any claims the company will be making as they promote the product.
3) Conduct clinical trials in strict compliance with the guidelines and procedures provided by the ADA.
4) Provide evidence of proper supervision of the manufacturing and laboratory facilities used to ensure purity and uniformity. They must also prove that the product is manufactured in compliance with GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices).
5) They must supply all product packaging and labeling for review and approval, and will need to comply with ADA standards for accuracy and truthfulness in advertising.
The Seal of Acceptance on a product is valid for five years. After that time the company will need to reapply and requalify with the ADA to make sure they are still in compliance with all ADA standards for their product. Now you can see why your dentist can recommend ADA approved products with confidence!
If you have any questions, or would like to schedule your next dental visit, please contact a member of our caring staff at Toluca Dental Studio at 818-927-6807 today.